Common Clogs & Causes
Let’s face it – clogs are common. Whether you have a family with long, luscious locks or simply a bad habit of flushing the unflushable, there are several ways to avoid shelling out your hard earned dollars to fix your clog.
The solutions we recommend include getting familiar with your drain stopper, pulling out the plunger and investing in a plumbing snake.
Our clog culprit is usually hair – but you’ll have to investigate before placing the blame. Other common causes are grease, coffee grounds, dental floss, feminine hygiene products – or if you have a toddler, small toys!
There are several ways to avoid the buildup of these items that create the clog in the first place. To prevent unwanted items from going down the drain, you can invest in a mesh screen or a perforated shower drain that catches debris.
Quick (and Not So Quick) Fixes
- Drain Stopper Solutions
- Pull out your drain stopper. Its main job is to catch debris before it clogs your pipes, but too much of a buildup can ironically cause a clog. After you remove it, clean it and reassemble.
- Plunging (Not Just for Toilets)
- Cover your clogged drain with the plunger, then use as you normally would, forcing the water up and down the pipes and hopefully dislodging the clog. If the clog is in the sink, run and trap a couple inches of water before trying this method.
- Plumbing Snake to the Rescue
- Basically a long metal hose, a plumbing snake works by moving through your pipes and removing any blockages.
If none of these fixes gave you a flowing drain, it might be time to call in a professional. For any plumbing problem, big or small, in the Greater Cleveland area, call (440) 283-9377 to get in touch with your family plumbers over here at Ohio Buckeye. We’ll make sure to unclog that drain in no time!