What To Do When You Need An Emergency Pipe Repair
Few plumbing emergencies are as panic-inducing as a burst pipe. It has to be taken seriously, but, like anything, staying calm and understanding the basics of what needs to be done can save your repair costs and blood pressure from going sky high.
In Case of Emergency…
These are the steps you need to take when you find a mess of water flowing out from a pipe.
If water is near or touching anything electrical, stop immediately to call for professional help and wear the protective gear the plumber recommends. Call one of our licensed plumbers at (440) 283-9377.
- Shut off the water main or whatever valve is supplying water to the part of your house where the burst is.
- Run the sink faucets until no water is left in the pipes to be spilled through the burst.
- Avoid any water while checking to see if the pool of spilled water is in contact with any live wires or electronics.
- Remove any valuables from the area, along with any carpets or rugs that could be damaged by the water.
- Mop up and dry out the affected area, so that you can mitigate mold and bacteria spread.
- Shut off the water heater and furnace until you can get the water flowing again.
- Find the exact location of the burst if not already known and call a pro.
What if It’s a Small Leak?
Small leaks can still be emergencies and are still probably best left to expert handling. But if you feel like your DIY skills can cover the size of the burst, then you should still follow Steps #1-6 from above before sealing the leak with putty, tape, or something similar.
This type of emergency requires someone you can trust. Residential and commercial clients all across Northeastern Ohio have been trusting Ohio Buckeye Plumbing for over 20 years. So if you want someone reliable fixing your pipes, call (440) 283-9377 today.